Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold  

Go Back Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold > Entertainment > Games

Wonderglue
Metal Gear (Solid)

Anyone playing it? Anyone loving it? Anyone living it?
This is probably the only game franchise that is still going strong apart from the usual Nintendo stuff. I loved the games to death when i was a kid.
With the release of The Phantom Pain i burned around 120 hours in one week from the release day. Ground Zeroes did provide around 60 hours for me to mess around. There goes my 5 years of waiting and 1 week of playing.

The last game in the series was probably the best gameplay wise, but the story was a bit bare. It lacked focus, but it still did a splendid job since it was so spread out. Of course, you can blame Konami for that, and Kojima for spending so much money and being over ambitious. I still have to 100% the game however, i am currently floating at 73%.
I just love stealth games, bare none, this was the best one yet. Everything just works.

Still, my favourite game in the series is Metal Gear Solid 2. There is just something about the setting, the loungy/jazzy d&b music, the narrative. It was also one of the few games that could be considered next-gen when it came out.
The Metal Gear series is one of my favourites, I'd share more of my thoughts on it but right now I need to sleep. So later.
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Wonderglue wrote: This is probably the only game franchise that is still going strong

lol not anymore, konami has decided to be a dedicated mobile game and pachinko company

Anyway I haven't played TPP yet because I kinda would rather play it from my couch like the rest of the series, and I can't really justify the cost of a ps4 right now
Yeah, i am kinda aware of that. That to me is a far better move than releasing half-baked full title games that will be lost in the mish-mash of average titles. Mostly because those games are not considered canon, and neither do they generate full attention from gamers or the public.

Without any bad game in the series, the franchise has cemented itself as one of the best games in history.
I wanted to do the same thing, but it was easier to just give 35€ for a digital copy than to buy a whole new system for only one game. The only other i want to play on the PS4 is Bloodborne. Maybe i will get it once, but not in the near future.

I created this as a general thread for the series rather than the latest installment. So feel free to add anything else regarding the other games if you wish.

Fidel Castro wrote: Valid imho
The Metal Gear series is one of my favourites, I'd share more of my thoughts on it but right now I need to sleep. So later.
Sure thing
I haven't played a single game in the series since the original Metal Gear Solid. Y'know, I recall liking it at the time but it's been so long I honestly don't know. I've considered on a few occasions picking the series back up, but I'm kind of obsessive about playing games in order. I'm sure playing them all consecutively would be quite the ordeal.

Also, adding you on Backloggery, Wonderglue. I so rarely find people that use it!
Drav
Metal Gear Solid 3 is a top 10 game. I never managed to get into any of the others because I made the mistaking of playing the original on my PSP (via PSN) and couldn't force myself to finish it. I'm kind of interested in The Phantom Pain but I'm hesitating a bit because it seems like I would need to play, at least, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes to understand the story.
Dabrowski
I made friends with someone on the bus two days ago. Homie was clearly playing Snake Eater on a Vita! After a few stops and watching him die to Volgin, I encouraged him to use the tranquilizer gun and not aim it. My text sound is the "!" noise. Phone call is the codec. I love Metal Gear.
tonight
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YH3o2pf-Bc
also the debriefing song legit makes me bawl to this day
I fell off the series with 4. Still haven't played further than Part 2 of that particular game. Just didn't have a PS3.

Pretty big fan of the series though. I'm probably one of five guys that will actively defend Snake's Revenge as a truly good MG game.

�* ☆ ☉ ☻

Motherfucking robots
Asbestosdeaf
I love the series to death. I played MGS1 as a kid and possibly beat it like 100 times. I went through the whole series over the years and even borrowed a PS3 from one of my friends from university just to play MGS4 since I never owned one. The first three are easily top ever games while I felt the last one was too ambitious and loose and drawn out.

I got Ground Zeroes for 5€ during the last Steam sales and it basically sold me for TPP which I'm playing through right now. Gameplay-wise it might be the best and most dynamic MGS game to date and I'm kind of glad the story is driven by something else than endless Codec sections although it kind of sucks that Snake has been turned into basically a non-speaking character (compared to previous installments of the series). I guess I´d have liked some middle ground better. That and the amount of filler missions are my main complaints, although they haven't stopped me from blowing 1.5h per mission just to score a perfect stealth score on each one.
Matt
This game is both epic and awesome, and then very bitterly disappointing at the same time.

The gameplay is fantastic and second to none so far. It's immensely fun to play and genius at times.

However the story telling has taken a back seat and now comes secondary. As a long time MGS fan, the over-the-top epic storyline was always a seller for me. Now it's reduced and pushed back into cassette tapes which can be dull (the same voices, and often hard to hear over the engine of the helicopter). Hideo Kojima also stated that he always felt Snake to be an extension of the player, not a character, and so made Snake quieter and talk less. Fuck that, Mr Kojima. Snake was always the star of the show and I wanted to hear him and his take on the story unfolding in front of me.

The Konami drama also definitely affected this game. There are cut scenes on the collectors edition bonus disc (available on YouTube) that detail extra story that actually closes the loop of the series story arc. Given the drama we know, it's obvious these were cut because Konami were pressuring for the game release. Additionally, midway through the game you are given a "end of chapter 1", wherein chapter 2 consists of a lot of replaying earlier missions on harder difficulties.

This could've been Mr Kojimas Magnum Opus, but it falls short for me, because of Konami (mainly).

Oh and every Mission has credits before and after as thought it was some sort of TV show, which is just weird.

That said, I still highly rate this game. The gameplay is fantastic and some of the messages within are strong and valid (there are a hundred different lethal weapons, but only a handful of non-lethal - it's easy to take life, but hard to preserve it).