Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold  

Go Back Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold > Entertainment > Games

Toementor
A Introduction to Play-by-Post D&D, the Way of the Fools

As we get set (hopefully) for a campaignya of the ol' D&Ds. Here's a quick post of how we liked to play. Actual "games" are never as fluid, but it's still in good fun. (Rulebooks always seem to makeout that gameplay is a breeze and players don't shit-talk. wow!)

Hi guys!

I'm acutely aware that some of you haven't played anything like this at all, so I thought it would be pertinent for me to make a little tutorial.

That'll happen is when the game starts, you'll be given a setting:

Example:
GM/DM(As in me): You are all waiting in the village square of a secluded forest village for a contact that says he has a job for your party.

Then each player should post an introduction, describing their character and stating what they are doing. In the case of spellcasters, the player should say which spells they have prepared.

Example:
Player 1 (playing Jim): Jim, the party's ruggedly handsome ranger, sits with his bow over his lap watching the crowd.
Player 2 (Playing Bob): Bob, a rather spoony bard, sits playing his lute, busking for coin.

Prepared Spells:
0-Level:
Dancing Lights x2
Daze x1
Resistance x1
Player 3 (Playing Zzz'tri): Zzz'tri adjusts his sword-strap, glaring at any passerby

Remember, that this is D&D, not some CRPG. Your character can do anything you wish... or can at least try to.

From then on the GM/DM and the players take turns, the players saying what they want to do and the GM/DM telling them what happens. If you want to make comments that aren't character action, prefix them with "OOC:" (Out of Character)

Example:
Player 1: Jim opens the nearest chest
DM/GM: Inside Jim finds 100GP
Player 1: Jim opens the next chest
Player 2: Bob, seeing Jim taking all the loot, decides to go see what is in the furthermost chest.
DM/GM: Jim opens the chest and discovers it is trapped
Reflex Save: [D20 = 3] + 3 < DC 10, FALIURE
Damage Roll: [1D6 = 3], Jim takes 3 damage
The trapped chest contained 1GP

Bob opens the chest, and discovers a +1 Longsword

It is okay to, if the action requires no DM input, to jump between characters instead.

Example:
Player 1: Jim rolls his eyes. "Stop being a fool, Bob!"
Player 2: Bob turns away. "It in my class description, Jim!"
Player 1: "Well, this is why I said this part didn't need a Bard!" Jim storms off.
DM: As Jim is about to leave, he is confronted by a rather angry looking Ogre..."

This changes when the players enter combat, as combat rounds have relatively strict structure.

Example

Player 1: Jim opens the far door and walks through
DM/GM: As you go to open the door, a party of four goblins burst through it!
Rolling Initiative:
Jim: [D20 = 5] + 2 = 7
Bob: [D20 = 15] + 1 = 16
Zzz'tri: [D20 = 5] + 3 = 8
Goblins: [D20 = 11] + 1 = 12
Combat Order:
Bob
Goblins
Zzz'tri
Jim

Player 2: Bob charges the first goblin out of the door, attacking him with his rapier
DM/GM: Attack Roll: [D20 = 15] + 3 > AC = 11
Damage Roll: [1D6 = 3] + 1 = 4, Bob deals 4 damage to the Goblin 1

Player 3: Zzz'tri charges to attack Goblin 1
Player 1: Jim shoots an arrow at Goblin 2
DM:

And that is about it! ^^ Happy game playin'.

]
shade
Oh hey look, you answered my question from the other thread.
Toementor
shade wrote: Oh hey look, you answered my question from the other thread.
I do my best! But yeah. Dice rolls are done by the DM, with help from random.org for true randomness. (though there's no reason to say that they can't use actual D20s or what-have-you)

]
Drav
How are you handling chargen? You'll roll the stats for us and we'll make a character around them?
Toementor
Players can roll characters as normal if they either A. know how. or B. are confident enough to do so. Rolling 4 dice, remove lowest roll and repeat 6 times is usually the preferred way. Will just have to take the player's word or it that they haven't manipulated their rolls. (six 18s are clearly suss) That, or I can give some predetermined rolls.

]