Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold  

Go Back Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold > Entertainment > Games

Drav
Whoop, I used 4 for average D8 instead of 4.5 so the numbers are off, but I don't think that'd change the overall conclusion much.
Sar
goddamn number crunchers.
Drav
Haha funnily enough I usually build characters based on RP stuff, but here I couldn't think of a RP reason why I'd take one weapon type over another so I just did the maths. This is why the old school purists are adamant about all weapons doing a standardised D6 damage I guess.
Drav
Almost lost our wizard today. He only has a 11 HP and got hit by Blight for 41 damage. If the DM had rolled a little better, he'd be a goner. Situations like this really emphasise how generous the rest mechanics in 5E; characters can go from almost-dead to full HP after 8 hours rest. The dude was half mummified! If I ever get around to DMing 5E I'll be tempted to use some of the alternate resting rules in the DMG.
Sar
The rules for rest are very forgiving, but as a DM I'm pretty brutal in combat so I think it about evens out. Last session three of our five characters were unconscious during a boss fight and one of the characters who were still standing at the end literally had one HP thanks to the relentless endurance half-orc racial feature.
Drav
The problem isn't balance — there have been some tough fights — but immersion. I don't want to go back to the "heal 1 HP per rest" madness of OD&D, but some kind of middle ground would be nice. Having to, say, rest for a few weeks if you get seriously fucked up (less if you're taken to a high-level cleric) would be reasonable and give the other characters a chance to do some of the "downtime" activities in the DMG.
Drav
That awkward moment when you find a new magic longsword and every single party member has levels in fighter/paladin...
Sar
all of you have paladin levels? my group's paladin is about to start diving into fighter because he got up to level 5, which gives him 25 points per day of lay on hands, some decent spellcasting and all of the smites he could really want right now and now wants to take a fighter level to get an additional fighting style and then stick with fighter. Is it for the multiple fighting styles?
Drav
Nah, I meant fighter OR paladin. We have a 7 fighter (me), 7 Paladin, 6 Wizard/1 Fighter, and a 4 Paladin/3 Warlock. Fighter/Paladin seems like a waste since you're not really compensating for any weaknesses and both classes give huge payoffs for higher level investments. Our Lvl 7 paladin just got an ability that gives him and everyone within 10 ft resistance to all spells.
Sar
In general I don't think multiclassing is all that great. I tend to recommend rogue levels to any finesse-based fighter for the skill point bump and, especially in 5E, the extra sneak attack dice.

Specifically my player that is switching to fighter didn't even look at fighter in the 5E books when he rolled his character because in 3.5 they're so boring and generic, but I mentioned that they're one of my favorite classes in 5E so he wants to basically switch out now, but he doesn't want to lose his character because he's grown attached over the past few months. I run my game every Sunday, and he runs a World of Darkness game every Friday and I'm basically going through the same thing with my character Dennis Toronto, Ace Reporter, because I didn't build him with a super clear concept in mind and now I'm steering him towards something more specific, but I have to play catch-up with experience points in a way that the other players who planned their characters better don't. But these things happen. It happened with my 3.5 rogue over a year ago and I'm still fixing him. I was almost responsible for a tpk because I didn't take any ranks in disable device.
Drav
One or two levels in fighter is a no-brainer for most magic users. One level gives you access to light/medium armour, a fighting style, and second wind. Two levels gives you access to action-surge, which can be used with spells. Of course the current published campaigns are only level 1-15, so if you take two levels you'll miss out on some of the cool stuff most magic users get at level 14. A level in rogue would be tempting for my Fighter if I found a cool magic short-sword (you can still use your strength modifying for sneak attacks, as long as its a finesse weapon), but once again I'd lose my 15th level bonus during the current campaign, and for a Champion that means criticals on an 18-20...
Toementor
tfw haven't played D&D in over a year.

]
Sar
I just made my friends play a game that I was DMing and then they all got addicted, do that.
Drav
I found a group via meetup.com but Perth has about five times the number of people as Christchurch so you may not be as lucky. Might be worth a shot though.
Sar
It's funny and it may have something to do with this being a college town, but I know several different groups in the area. I am in a group of about eight where there are about five different games going on with all of us DMing different stuff. We have a normal 3.5 heroic campaign, a 3.5 evil campaign, a star wars saga edition rpg, a world of darkness campaign and my 5e heroic campaign. For the game I run, it started as its own independent thing apart from my normal RPG group, where I just had four of my friends come over, roll up characters and start playing. One of them has been telling me for like six years that he wants to play dungeons and dragons and he immediately stopped showing up after the first session. After the party was down to three, I asked a friend of mine from my main RPG group if she'd like to play in a weekly game, then a guy she met who just moved into town was looking for a weekly game so I invited him to mine, and he invited me to his World of Darkness game, which is where I met the player that joined this past Sunday. Maybe I've just gotten really lucky but I've had a very smooth experience with RPG groups.
Sar
I just bought these because the combat has been getting more three dimensional (our warlock got a staff of spider climbing and if a room has a ceiling, he's hanging upside down from it) and I've been doing a lot of mounted and aerial combat recently.

Also picked up Curse of Strahd even though we literally just started Temple of Elemental Evil two weeks ago, I saw that it came out and I've never gotten to play Ravenloft so I plan on running it for my players next. Also picked up the elemental evil spell cards and special ordered a copy of the World of Darkness core rulebook which is apparently out of print so they have to send a request to a printer to have it made for me, and it'll be here in three weeks. Woohoo.

Does anyone here use the 5E spell cards? I find them immensely useful. I also had all the spellcasters in my group download the 5E spell book app so if they don't have the spell card they can quick reference it. I keep a PHB on the player's table during the game, and one of my players always brings his, but it's faster, it keeps combat moving really quickly and fluidly, and I don't have to deal with players taking turns with the PHB to look things up.
Sar
Also does anyone know where I can get an oversized plastic D20 that I can fill with dice? I've been looking everywhere. I want to put it in the middle of the players' table.
Drav
I don't think anyone is using the spell cards in our current game, but I think one of the guys who also GMs says he's used them and they work well. Never heard of the dice holder thing but this came up in a google search.

Curse of Strahd looks great, but one of our players is already running it himself and I think our GM is pretty keen on running some of this own stuff once we're done with Prince of the Apocalypse, so I may not get the chance to play it for a while. Personally I'm pretty psyched for the Shakespeare-inspired Giant campaign that's supposedly coming in a few months.

Drav fucked around with this message on 2016/04/06 at 12:23:48.
Sar
Do you have a link to the Shakespeare thing? And yeah, Curse of Strahd seems great. Also I think my ladyfriend bought me an octagonal glass terrarium to fill with dice. I'm moving into her place at the end of the month and I told her I'm sectioning off part of the living room for my RPG tables since I'll have more room at her place. Last night she and I were trying to decide how to make it look nice, and I had brought up the giant die filled with dice idea. I'm also going to buy giant folding tables (my current DM table is a card table that's really much too small) for me and my players and get more battle maps so I can have entire dungeons drawn out ahead of time and not have to draw on the fly as I have been recently.

The spell cards are great if you can afford them. I bought the arcane, druid, ranger, paladin and elemental decks which all came out to about $40-$50, and I got the little plastic card holders and I organized all of my players' character sheets and spell sheets into little folders for them. Every day when they prepare their spells, they have to rearrange their spell cards. Just being able to say "let me see the card" when someone casts a spell and there's a dispute is pretty fantastic.
Drav
It seems like the timelines are a bit more up in the air than I thought, but they talk about a "giants based story influenced by a Shakespearean play" here. My guess would be The Tempest, but I guess it could be anything. They also talk about an Alice in Wonderland adventure that hasn't materialized yet though, and there's no mention of the Ravenloft campaign that has, so it's entirely possible their plans have completely changed.

I might check out the spells cards next time I'm at the local gaming store. I already have a lot of 5E shit I don't need yet (including the official DM screen lol) but 5E supplements are few and far between at the moment and I don't want to spoil any of the campaigns for myself yet.

Drav fucked around with this message on 2016/04/07 at 13:07:57.
Drav
Wait... I guess the Alice in Wonderland one was Out of the Abyss. So we're probably talking about a really loose adaptation here.
Sar
I have the 5E DM screen which is pretty useless aside from it having a list of status ailments. I've been threatening to make my own for a while, but haven't gotten around to it, so the interior of my DM screen is just covered in post-it notes.

I haven't read Into the Abyss, but I suppose I could see an Underdark adventure where you're captured and continuously harangued by demons could actually totally come from Alice in Wonderland.

I'm not super concerned with ruining modules for myself because I'm the only 5E DM in my group, but then again one of my players who's been playing D&D for sixteen years or so has always avoided reading Temple of Elemental Evil in the hopes he can play it with all the surprises still in store for him and he's finally getting his wish years later, so maybe I won't just read everything.
Drav
Apparently our Paladin, who halves elemental damage if we are within 10 ft of him, is moving to Tanzania to do aid work . We're (probably) getting a new guy, but we haven't decided whether we're going to start a new campaign or get him to roll a lvl 8 character yet. Of course we then have to get him up to speed on 6+ months of plot developments...
Drav
Storm King's Thunder, September 6th. I guess it's based on King Lear.

Also, Volo’s Guide to Monsters, which is certainly a more interesting name than "Monster Manual II".
Sar
Yeah! I've been hoping for 5e to get some more supplemental material. My bro who plays in my game and has been DMing from 13 years has been skeptical about adopting 5e because of the lack of supplemental material. He defies my cries that it's so great because of the swiftness of combat and insists 3.5 is the master race. We recently showed a new RPG'r the ropes with 3.5 and he was annoyed as hell that it took 55 minutes to get to his turn.
Sar
btw I really love wizard's strategy to promote 5e. Get a celeb DM (Mercer) to DM the new campaign, get a bunch of experienced players/comedians/new players/comedians to play the game in front of a live audience in a location that has THE MOST nerd cred of any venue ever (Meltdown Comics). I'm so excited to watch it unfold.
Drav
So we got two new guys instead of one, a Bard and a Fighter/Rogue, and they've both worked out pretty well so far. The Fighter/Rogue just happened upon his dying step-father in a dungeon as he was having his rib-cage slowly torn open by evil humanoid bird things, and ended up with a magical rib-bone that transforms into a Bow or dagger at will at the cost of infusing him with blinding rage. Our DM is a pretty cool guy.
Sar
kenku?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.3 KB, 5 views)
Drav
Yeah, the ones that make the freaky noises.