Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold  

Go Back Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold > Entertainment > Games

Sar
Those have been a staple of my campaign. They're fun, especially if you can keep the party from seeing them with their eyes for months.

I'm introducing Tharizdun tonight. I'm nervous. He's going to take a player.
Drav
Whoa, maybe spoke too soon about the new players working out fine. The bard lost his shit today over some shenanigans our wizard pulled (the wizard attacked him for RP reasons, basically), told us he had to roll a new character because his bard would "cut (the wizard's) throat while he slept if he stuck around", packed up all his stuff, and spent the last hour or so of the game silently fuming. He stuck around after I left to have a talk with the DM so dunno if he'll be showing up again next week or what.

Drav fucked around with this message on 2016/08/14 at 11:59:06.
Drav
In slightly better news, our GM has very generously allowed my human Fighter to wield the Dwarven Thrower we just found! Time to fuck up some giants.

I hope that's a catapult modified to only use dwarves as ammunition.
Drav
Three of our five players have been replaced now, so we've decided to ditch Prince of the Apocalypse and move on to Storm King's Thunder. I'm playing a ranger, using the recently revised rules . Advantage of initiative roles and (usually) first-turn attack rolls is pretty cool; my first attack was a critical with sharpshooter haha.

Is that a second ranger revision? I liked the one with 2d6 for health.
Drav
Yeah, although neither are official yet so there's no reason not to use the old UA if you like it more. This new one is a less radical revision.

I'm just going over everything because I'm trying to get a game together. I'll probably play a rogue. It seems like most classes don't really get interesting until second level. I like a lot of the changes but delaying core features seems odd.
Drav
I can see two advantages in doing it that way:

1. Ease new players into the game with just one or two special abilities to keep track of, then ramp up quickly.

2. Ensure that a one-level muticlass dip isn't too much of a no-brainer.

But yeah, one of the reasons I keep taking variant human is so I have an extra ability to play around with straight away.

This is my elvish rogue character, Montenegro.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (762).png (213.1 KB, 8 views)

He's been growing his hair for hundreds of years (he's also been growing his mustache but that's a work in progress). He was cast out by his parents for material obsessions, but that only drove him to human society and a life of crime. He stopped using his elvish name and is known only by the nickname Montenegro. He wields a staff because he doesn't want to risk anything sharp coming too close to his hair.
Drav
Nice. I take it you'll be taking the Polearm Master and/or Sentinel feats? I think you'll miss out on your sneak attack damage using the quarterstaff since it's not a finesse weapon, which is a bit of a downer, but you might be able to negotiate something with your GM.

Those are good looking feats. I'm planning on having darts or a whip to switch to for sneak attack. I might just let him have a hidden knife and let everyone else call him out on it.

I'm trying to make decisions that force me to play differently than usual, which is a huge muscley tank with a big ax or a couple of swords. I wanted to go with non-bladed finesse weapons but couldn't bring myself to stick with 1d4 damage. Not sure how much sneak attacks will make up for that.

Oh, and the red suit is leather which will work as leather armor, hopefully.
Drav
You might be able to justify sneak attacks with quarterstaffs if you also take a level in monk, following the logic here. That'd also mean you could dump strength and focus on dex after level 1. You'd need to invest at least 13 points in wisdom to multiclass though, unless you start as a monk and switch to rogue instead. Plus you're GM might not allow it anyway if he's really mean.

If I get frustrated by combat, I can always make something up to justify grabbing a longsword for 1d10 or a rapier for the sneak attacks.

I may end up DMing.
Toementor
  wrote: I may end up DMing.
It's a trap.

]
Starling
Toementor wrote:
It's a trap.
Toementor
Starling wrote:
Toementor wrote:
It's a trap.
You take 2D6 Plasma damage.

]
Starling
I can probably roll a save for it.
Sar
My group's main DM is gonna be moving soon which is a huge bummer. He'll only be about an hour away, but he'll only be able to run so much due to his taking on a full-time job, and I like to make sure he gets time as a player as well so we're not just pimping out his DM skills. He's an incredible DM/storyteller, and I'll probably never have one better than him ever. He's been DMing for almost fifteen years, has virtually an encyclopedic knowledge of 3.5 and on top of that is a really natural and ambitious storyteller. On the bright side, he's really inspired me to up my game with my DMing. Tomorrow I receive my shipment of Pathfinder books. I've already started writing a horror adventure for Pathfinder, though we still have a few months of my 5e campaign left. I'll begin my reading of Pathfinder, though with his help he's already helped me grasp the most difficult aspects of it and I've been reading the core rulebook for a while so the transition should be relatively seamless. Before we met him I was sort of the defacto main DM of the group and I'm not super thrilled about being back in that position again, but we take the roles we're handed, I suppose.
Drav
Looks like my foray into live GMing is going to end up being Call of Cthulhu rather than D&D. Hopefully it goes better than this one.
Toementor
Looks like it couldn't go any worse. :p

I DM'ed a game irl some weeks ago. Wasn't actually too bad, surprised my mates were as into it as they were. I didn't even have to Adventure Time-it.

]
Sar
That's great, I feel like I need the active responses of my group to feel validated and satisfied by the experience of DMing. I've also been playing with them for two years, so they're a pretty easy group to roleplay with at this point.
Toementor
I know, right?

So, Starling and I were recently going through the 3.5 Player's Handbook more or less for shit and giggs, and we (more so she. :p) came across the Hallow and Unhallow spells. While the PH clearly states that one CANNOT dispell the other, but it does counter the spell.

So my take on the spell is that in an area that is either Hallowed or Unhallowed; the effect [(Un)hallowing] takes takes hold for a in-game year since the spell was cast. When a party member casts the opposite of whatever spell is currently in effect (if they've managed to determine what's going on) negatively affecting the group, then the party within 40-ft of the caster area no-longer feels the effects of the spell for as long as they're in area? Right? Once they leave the area, the is still ((Un))hallowed) and must be re-casted if they return???

Or have I ballsed that up? Idk. Seems weird.

]
Roger Mexico, Gentleman
I played one session of a Rifts campaign three hours from where I live.

I really need to find a local group.

�* ☆ ☉ ☻

Motherfucking robots
Sar
YouTube Video

My friend has been recapping our Tuesday game via MS Paint. This game is fucking wild; the DM is a real scholar of 3.5 and has been DMing it for 13 years. We're all playing our wheelhouses and attempting to out min-max the DM, but my character has still died and needed reviving six or seven times now.

Anyway, I'm the fire elf scout Scotia that is mentioned in the video. My dexterity is 30. I did a good job min-maxing him.
Drav
Toementor wrote: I know, right?

So, Starling and I were recently going through the 3.5 Player's Handbook more or less for shit and giggs, and we (more so she. :p) came across the Hallow and Unhallow spells. While the PH clearly states that one CANNOT dispell the other, but it does counter the spell.

So my take on the spell is that in an area that is either Hallowed or Unhallowed; the effect [(Un)hallowing] takes takes hold for a in-game year since the spell was cast. When a party member casts the opposite of whatever spell is currently in effect (if they've managed to determine what's going on) negatively affecting the group, then the party within 40-ft of the caster area no-longer feels the effects of the spell for as long as they're in area? Right? Once they leave the area, the is still ((Un))hallowed) and must be re-casted if they return???

Or have I ballsed that up? Idk. Seems weird.
That's the way I'd read it too.
Toementor
Fuck up, Roger.

Thanks, Drav. Nice to know there was someone else who thought the same. xD

]