Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold  

Go Back Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold > Entertainment > Games

Drav
Best game this decade

Obviously it's too early to call it because we're only half way through, but I think it will be interesting to compare this to 5 years from now.

So far my vote goes to Dark Souls. Demon's Souls is, IMO, the superior game but that was released in 2009. Sometimes it seems like a miracle these games even exist, considering how antithetical they are to modern game design philosophy. Runner up would go to Fallout: New Vegas, which was one of the most complex and best written RPGs I've ever played.

Since I'm also a whore for adventure games I'll also give a shout out to SOMA and Telltale's games since The Walking Dead. Those games more than any others showcase the best of what video games can achieve in of narrative since the days of Lucas Art adventures.

Drav fucked around with this message on 2015/12/19 at 12:09:40.
Fidel Castro
I wholeheartedly agree with you on Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls. Sadly I haven't played any of the other games you mention so I have no opinion on those.
Roger Mexico, Gentleman
We'll have to see how it continues to hold up, but I think I like Bloodborne more than Dark Souls. If only because gothic horror appeals to me.

I'm still playing XCOM. I'd probably put it in the running.

I'll also have to second New Vegas.

I'm going to write a couple that I liked a lot but might not be worth defending:
Mass Effect 2
El Shaddai
Deus Ex: HR
Portal 2
Dear Esther
FTL

�* ☆ ☉ ☻

Motherfucking robots
Toementor
Anything developed by BioWare.

]
Sar
XCOM
Skyrim
Portal 2
The Last of Us
Hotline Miami

I think that about covers it.
Drav
Roger Mexico, Gentleman wrote: We'll have to see how it continues to hold up, but I think I like Bloodborne more than Dark Souls. If only because gothic horror appeals to me.
Just picked up a PS4 yesterday. It seems pretty good so far but from what I've heard about the game I think I'll miss the build options offered by Demon's/Dark.

I played a bit of Portal 2, and I remember enjoying it, but I'm not keen enough on pure puzzle games to really get that much out of it. I had the same trouble with The Talos Principal, even though Jonas Kyratzes' adventure games are possibly my favourite thing to come out of the indie game movement. On that note, The Sea Will Claim Everything and The Infinite Ocean are well worth the 2-3 hours needed to complete them.
Drav
Roger Mexico, Gentleman wrote: El Shaddai
Whoa, I barely even remember this game (never played it). Out of interest, what was great about it?
Roger Mexico, Gentleman
Drav wrote:
Roger Mexico, Gentleman wrote: El Shaddai
Whoa, I barely even remember this game (never played it). Out of interest, what was great about it?
The essential gameplay loop is a beat-em-up boiled down to it's very bare necessities. I mean, you're basically playing rock-paper-scissors with every enemy and boss in the game.

The story was a dumb rambling pseudo-biblical romp that raised a lot of questions and didn't even pretend to answer them.

It had just enough going for it that I have to put it above the other "corridor->arena" beat-em-ups from the last ten years.

The real reason the game stuck with me is that it is visually like nothing I've ever played before. Looking at screenshots doesn't really do it justice.

�* ☆ ☉ ☻

Motherfucking robots
Kane
Dark Souls
Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (yeah yeah the ending, but still great otherwise)

In that order, which is coincidentally the order of most to least hours I've played of the four (4000+, 2000+, 300 or so, 180 or so). Next on the list would probably be Fallout 4 but I haven't even finished it yet. I've spent over 60 hours now and hardly even gotten through the beginning of the story. Just having too much fun with sidequests, settlements, exploring and blowing shit up.

Matt
Not a massive Dark Souls fan., and therefore by extension, I've had no interest in Bloodborne.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an amazing game. Had me hooked instantly. One of the few games this last decade I've poured myself into until I'd done everything I could think of.

The Last of Us spurred me back into console games, after a whole generation away. Brilliant game. Another game that had be from the first hour and I couldn't put down.

Uncharted 2 is also another fantastic game (accentuated by the PS4 Nathan Drake Collection version entirely).

Rogue Legacy is a fantastic game. A real pleasant surprise to play.

Tell Tale's The Walking Dead Season 1 was also another pleasant surprise, but all of their games thus far have been of a similar caliber, but TWD S1 was the first to really knock it out of the park and start things off.

EDIT:

Damn, Metal Gear Solid 3 misses out on this decade by a year. Still a great game. I play it at least once a year.
Drav
The one thing that bugs me about The Walking Dead games vs Telltale's others is that the choices always feel a lot more fake. I mean, the choices don't matter that much in any of them, but TWD in particular doesn't try very hard to disguise it. But yeah, I could see an argument for TWD S1 having the best story so far.

When I said "decade" I meant this decade, so from 2010 to now. I realize we're only half way through but I thought it would be fun to compare now to five years from now. I'd definitely put forward MGS3 as being one of the best games of 2000-2009 though, along with Deus Ex, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Devil May Cry etc.
Matt
Ahh, good shout. Yeah, that makes sense.

For TWD, I was more taken aback by the story telling than the actual story. I know what you mean, the choices feel a little fake.

Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system was quite good, but I'm not sure if it's one of the best so far this decade.
Kane
I liked MGS2 better than 3. Yeah I know blah blah Raiden but the actual gameplay was better in 2.

Also, I got bought the Walking Dead game and it was shit. Learn to make an actually decent fucking adventure game and maybe one day I'll give you dorks some money.

Kane
Drav wrote: When I said "decade" I meant this decade, so from 2010 to now. I realize we're only half way through but I thought it would be fun to compare now to five years from now. I'd definitely put forward MGS3 as being one of the best games of 2000-2009 though, along with Deus Ex, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Devil May Cry etc.
I know what you meant, that's why I did not put forth stuff like Nocturne or DQ8 or Demon's Souls.

That said, if we're gonna talk 2000-2009 then it's gonna get pretty cloudy, but honestly I'd like to hear people's opinions on that so maybe we could start another thread about that at some point? Right now the forum just isn't active enough for it, I think.

Drav
The lame adventure game stuff is another reason why I don't rank The Walking Dead as highly as the others. The later games cut the inventory puzzles out entirely so they're really CYOA games rather than adventure games.

Proper adventure games pretty much all mediocre now days. Some of the Wadjet Eye games are decent (Primordia in particular) but I haven't played a single adventure from the past 10 years that was impressive in the same way the best Lucas Arts/Sierra/Infocom games were impressive. Broken Age was legit bad.
Liquid
If I had to pick 5, I'd probably go Dark Souls 2, Last of Us, Rogue Legacy, XCOM, Mount & Blade: Warband.

The only choice that really needs any elaboration is Dark Souls 2. I think the decision to warp between bonfires is what made that game so great. Dark Souls felt like a game about resource attrition (its rate depended on your skill), as well as a continual escalation of threat. To take an example, look at Darkroot Garden. First you fight an ent, then an ent with precarious footing, then an ent with a surprise second ent, then (optionally) five ents, then you fight a stone giant, then a stone giant with an ent, then two stone giants in an environment that is littered with trigerable ents. While I think that kind of steady escalation plays well across the first half of the game with a linear progression route, it really falls down in the second half, where each path to a lord soul continues that escalation from the end of Anor Londo. I feel like the addition of Bonfire warping really changed that. There is some minor escalation, but since the games spokes can be tackled in any order as well as you being able to bounce between them the basic design feels so different. The game feels built around bite sized bursts of difficulty with bonfires being far more frequent and an emphasis placed on the design of the encounter and its arena rather than just here's more dudes. It's a marriage of what I love about Demon's Souls (far and away the superior game IMO), with the mechanical and systemic improvements brought by dark souls (poise on armor instead of shields having a deflect stat opens up the possibility for way more build diversity to give just one example) plus some, as well as just playing and running significantly smoother. If anyone here likes Souls, but hasn't played 2, definitely check out Scholar of the First Sin.

While I had fun with Bloodborne, even if I had a PS4 (borrowed a friends) I will probably never play it again and was disappointed by being railroaded into the Bloodborne build rather than having a lot of options.

Oh, honorable mention for The Evil Within. That game doesn't come close to an objective best, but it was some of the most fun I've had with a video game in who knows how long, the only reason I didn't throw it in is I have spent so much time playing and replaying the games I listed. Also, Nier.
And all thats' left is us

Liquid fucked around with this message on 2016/01/09 at 05:10:32.