View Single Post
Sar
Max Landis did a great video a while back that pretty well sums up my opinions on the Superman thing. I like Superman and I have a friend who LOVES Superman and he has way more opinions on the matter than I do.

What I DO have opinions about is Batman. The first thing I'll say is as far as superhero mythology goes, Batman is one of the more malleable characters out there. The Batman represented in The Dark Knight Returns may bear little resemblance to the Batman found in The Long Hallloween. Even over the course of something like Detective Comics, Batman's personality can fluctuate based on the writer and that's totally fine. That said there are some fundamental rules you don't break about Batman.

Zack Snyder had this to say on Batman killing people

“A little more like manslaughter than murder, although I would say that in the Frank Miller comic book that I reference, he kills all the time. There’s a scene from the graphic novel where he busts through a wall, takes the guy’s machine gun… I took that little vignette from a scene in The Dark Knight Returns, and at the end of that, he shoots the guy right between the eyes with the machine gun. One shot. Of course, I went to the gas tank, and all of the guys I work with were like, ‘You’ve gotta shoot him in the head’ because they’re all comic book dorks, and I was like, ‘I’m not gonna be the guy that does that!’”
The scene he's referencing does not exist. The closest to the scene that Snyder made up for the purpose of this interview is a scene where Batman breaks through a wall to break up a hostage situation where he does not kill anyone. The Dark Knight Returns is the primary influence for Affleck's Batman, which is totally fine, but there's a burden that comes with that: Frank Miller was and is a fascist and he wrote Batman as an objectivist, a moral absolutist and someone teetering on the edge of sociopathy. I'm not opposed to that interpretation of Batman, though I dislike that the book (and movie by extension) continuously reward him for taking those stances rather than punish him. Despite all that, and despite its reputation in 1986 as one of the most cruel and violent Batman stories ever, it contains panels like this expressly forbidding the use of guns and killing.

I'll cut this short because I was supposed to have left for work already and I'm not even dressed, but I enjoyed the movie despite all of this because in the face of the writing, both actors are well cast for their roles. Despite being saddled with an interpretation of the character that is bafflingly morose, Henry Cavill was and is the right guy to be playing Superman, and Ben Affleck totally nails the tortured, late-career, Dark Knight Returns version of Batman. I cannot abide Batman or Superman's actions in the movie, but when they fight... at least Zack Snyder basically stole the Batman/Superman fight from The Dark Knight Returns, so it was fun to watch.

Sar fucked around with this message on 2016/04/19 at 02:52:00.