View Single Post
Luth
The Force Awakens was really solid in some respects, but completely fell flat in others.

I couldn't take Kylo seriously. At all. The character came across as an annoying, petulant whiner. Certainly he was a few steps above the way Anakin was portrayed in the prequels, but not by much. He's going to need some very serious character expansion in the next two villains or I'll going to write him off as a joke.

The Starkiller was also a ridiculous concept, even within the confines of the Star Wars universe. It was over-the-top for the sake of being over the top.

Aesthetically, it was on point, and felt like it was set in the Star Wars universe in the way it should have. It couldn't possibly have gotten the look down any more perfectly. Stellar work in that respect.

Unfortunately, this is is probably due in part to the movie's greatest flaw - its reliance on nostalgia. On the must fundamental level, it's practically a complete rethread of A New Hope... and I fear the next two films will be the rethreads of the respective sequels as well. I want a proper continuation of the universe. Not the same story told twice is some lazy attempt to cash in on nostalgia.

Thankfully, the new characters was fresh enough to still make the story fun to watch, as uninspired and formulaic as it may have been. I was genuinely interested in seeing what happened to these people, and I want to know what happens next. And I won't lie, BB8 totally won me over.