View Single Post
Matt
Sar wrote: ...yeah. I played Uncharted 3 when it first came out, and tried to give it another go a year ago or so. I remembered the setpieces (specifically the one where you fall out of the cargo plane) very cool, but then I felt like the combat didn't age well. At the beginning of the PS3's lifespan I thought the first Uncharted was super cool, but as the visuals improved I don't think the mechanics kept in pace and the combat and puzzle solving I felt became very bland. That said I thought The Last of Us was fucking brilliant and worked beautifully, so I'll play the fourth one if I ever get my hands on a PS4.

I just finished Arkham Knight. The reveal of the Knight's identity left me cold because it's exactly who I guessed it was all along and I was hoping they'd throw a twist at me (even after the reveal, I thought that there would be some sort of narrative double-cross), then I was quite enjoying the big action climax after that, and then the denouement totally fell flat, left a ton of shit open to interpretation, and I looked up the 100% completion ending (I'm not nearly autistic enough to spend the next two months collecting Riddler trophies for a one-minute cut scene) and it was just as uselessly bad. Overall I liked the game, I thought it was a great Batman game, but the ending left such a bad taste in my mouth. They did so many cool things with the dialogue and the setpieces, tying all of the action back to Batman, his friends and family and his relationships with the Joker and all of the other supervillains, but in the end the actual climax of the story was incredibly messy and uneven.

The Uncharted Collection (basically a remaster) does it justice, and they supposedly fixed some of the gunplay in the third one (but I can't remember to compare). The main thing is the 60FPS gameplay. Makes a huge difference to the overall enjoyment. It also looks better than some PS4 games.

Same for The Last of Us: Remastered as well!.