Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold

Grimmest and Most Frostbitten Kvlt of Fool's Gold (http://fools-gold.org/forum/index.php)
-   Rockin' in the Free World (http://fools-gold.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best albums of the decade so far (http://fools-gold.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64643)

Better Ghost 2016/01/13 19:32:20

Best albums of the decade so far

Curious what everybody's choices would be. I'm still thinking about what would be on my list, but if forced at gunpoint to pick one album it would probably be Bowie's Blackstar. I'm not just saying that because he just died; I was already trending that way before I got the news.

Sar 2016/01/17 02:16:44

Oh, I dunno. I like that Glass Riffer by Dan Deacon, the last two Deerhunter records, Yeezus, the last two Kendrick Lamar albums, Our Love by Caribou, Floating Coffin by Thee Oh Sees, and it's hard not to say Blackstar, but I certainly need to spend some more time with it before I can say for sure. But this is me just looking through the pile of recently played records next to my computer, I'm not really googling around to see exactly what albums have come out in the last few years or even thinking particularly hard.

TomSteenblok 2016/01/20 16:28:54

Man this decade has been great, so this is gonna be a long answer to the question. In my opinion, the best albums of this decade are:
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Aphex Twin - Syro
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly and Good Kid m.A.A.d. City
Death Grips - The Money Store
Swans - The Seer
Vampire Weekend - Contra
The War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World
and Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Sar 2016/01/20 16:57:55

What that guy said.

Better Ghost 2016/01/25 05:54:37

Yeah, good list. Welcome to the board an' shit :monster:

DigitalGhost 2016/05/12 21:36:19

I'm late to the Joanna Newsom party, but I did get to see her live in Chicago back in December. And Have One On Me is one of the best albums of the decade.

DigitalGhost 2016/05/12 21:37:57

Also, I can't access the What are you listening to? thread. :(

Better Ghost 2016/05/13 05:33:25

Huh. Wonder why that would even happen. What message does it give you when you try to access it, or does it just throw up a blank screen? Screenshots could be helpful, too.

Better Ghost 2016/05/13 05:39:29

Highlights of the year so far:

Bowie - Blackstar
Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner
Gorguts - Pleiades' Dust
Krallice - Hyperion
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Ulver - ATGCLVLSSCAP

May add more stuff later but those are releases that have been spurring me to listen to their respective artists repeatedly.

Can't even begin to make a list of releases from the whole decade yet. Might think about doing that this weekend, but we'll see.

DigitalGhost 2016/05/13 16:42:41

Aaron, this is the error message I keep getting.
View post on imgur.com

DAMMIT...anyway, it says "The fools-gold.org page isn't working. fools-gold.org is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500"

Better Ghost 2016/05/13 18:09:15

That's utterly bizarre. I have no idea why it would be doing that for you. I'll ask shade about it, I guess. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Sar 2016/06/11 09:16:30

Quote:

DigitalGhost wrote: (Post 1608809)
I'm late to the Joanna Newsom party, but I did get to see her live in Chicago back in December. And Have One On Me is one of the best albums of the decade.

she has a special place in my heart. when I was in high school, we were in english class and we had one class period after finals so we were kind of doing whatever, this girl had written me a few songs. She did two songs with an acoustic guitar and then she covered Inflammatory Writ. I have strong memories of several lyrics she sang to me, but the one that I always remember is "even mollusks have weddings, though solemn and leaden"

Better Ghost 2016/06/24 21:25:01

Joanna is a one-of-a-kind musician. I can’t think of many people working in popular music right now about whom I’d say that, but she’s definitely one of them. Maybe the only one; I can’t think of anyone else off the top of my head.